Conflict of interests




I had thought that dad would have more time to be at home with us when he had so many co-workers on the ship, but I was wrong. As far back as I could remember, dad was fulfilling his vision and mission, which more often than not, kept him away from home

When I was little, I accepted it as a normal part of life.  
The important thing was that Mom was always at home with us 
wherever we happened to live.



I still remember the feeling I got when he got into his van and drove away after getting us settled in our new home. I realized then that life would always be like this. There were other tasks and other people elsewhere that would still be more important for dad. I did not know anything about the significant problems he had with the boat and with some of the people in the group who had promised to be part of his team.

Dad had had a lot of experience during his many years as a missionary. He had high demands on himself - and expected almost as much of others. That did not function so well.  The conflicts that arose were a natural result of those high expectations. 
Not everyone was yet ready for  the kind of challenges they had to face.

The new co-workers experienced phenomena that had no name yet in the 1950s: different reactions due to cultural shock.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_shock


The members of the team on the mission boat gradually moved to other parts of the world.
The scattering became a blessing to others in other countries, though it brought pain along the way. Much later I learned that there is no growth without pain.

I did not understand the sacrifice both my parents made. 



Dad was committed to the mission he was called to fulfill:  
We are therefore Christ’s ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ’s behalf: Be reconciled to God. 2 Corinthians 5:20

Mum's task was to raise us, her children, and give us a firm foundation for our future. 
That included giving us the opportunity to study. 
She also wanted to give us the security of family life in spite of our uprooted existence.
She did not want to put us into boarding school, even though there were boarding facilities at the schools we went to.  

I was growing up as a stubborn and selfish preteen. I wanted a settled life.
 I wanted to be with my friends and to identify with the people I was becoming a part of. 
I wasn't ready for all the challenges I was facing.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arrival in Kandy

Our family’s Christmas traditions!

Back to School in Kandy